Monday, February 25, 2013

Labor: It Must Hurt.

We are in the home stretch!  Hard to believe we will be meeting Gavin two weeks from today.  We went up to Seattle for our final ultrasound.  The next time we see him will be his birthday.  Gavin was a little more mellow today, which was odd since his dad was also sleepy and dozed off for 20 minutes during my NST test.  I guess even Ryan and Gavin take naps.  We did get to see his hair and his "fat rolls" on the ultrasound.  Apparently he has stolen Ryan's hair and has been eating all of my food.  Besides being cute, chubby, and having more hair than his dad, Gavin looks great.  Everything looks stable and we are just carrying on like normal.

On another note, I have been having contractions!  I thought I was for the past few days, but I had no idea what a contraction felt like.  Sure enough, I had one during my non-stress test and a nurse walked around the corner at that exact moment and told me that the monitor was picking up a contraction.  Ouch.  I must say that they are not the most comfortable thing I have ever experienced!  They checked me out and it does not appear that I am showing any signs of going into labor, so I can only imagine what active labor feels like.  Eesh.  We did leave the office with a warning that I need to head in if I start having them every five minutes, and that "anything can happen" at this point in pregnancy.  Meaning I could go into labor at any time since I am considered full term now.  Not what I want to hear!  I am anticipating two more weeks of working out, school, and hanging out with Ryan and the dogs!  BUT, I suppose if Gavin decides he would like to come party with us earlier, we will be okay with that.

When we got home there was a package at our front door, and it turns out it was from Gavin's O baby buddy, Hayden!  Hayden and his parents were kind enough to send us a little NICU care package.  Since they were just there with their little guy, they knew exactly what we would be needing.  Best of all was a stuffed seal, which O parents must name Omphalo Seal.  Hayden had his own Omphalo watching over him while his parents were away getting some sleep, so now Gavin has one too.  I can't express how great it has been to have the parents of Gavin's O baby buddies, Hayden and Max, to talk to.  I hope that all parents who find themselves chosen to have an O baby find parents who have gone through the same situation.  I think it has helped Ryan and I feel more "normal."

The photo below is of Gavin's NICU gear.  The gear includes his blanket (from Aunt Stacy, Cousin KK and Uncle Todd), a stuffed Yoda so that the force is always with him in the hospital (from Gavin's awesome parents), and Omphalo Seal.


Monday is our LAST appointment at UW before the big day.  I have to admit Ryan and I are looking forward to not going to these appointments anymore!  They are long, I get hungry, and Ryan gets antsy.  Plus, I think it is just time for Gavin to get out here so that his awesome doctors can get him on the road to coming home!

Hope everybody is doing great!

Carly, Ryan and Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment